Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Week 1: Agency and Accountability

Wherefore, men … are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death.2 Nephi 2:27


CLICK HERE to view ideas from LDS.org (including talks, videos, quotes, and ways to integrate Duty to God and Personal Progress into your Family Home Evening)

 
Here are some ideas for this week:

Songs:

“Who’s on the Lord’s Side” (Hymns, #260)
“Choose the Right” (Hymns, #239)
“Choose the Right Way” (Children’s Songbook, p. 160)
“Dare to Do Right” (Children’s Songbook, p. 158)

Games:
  • Let's Make a Deal
  • Shutes and Ladders
  • Life
  • Sorry
  • Scavenger Hunts

Maze.  Copy a maze for each person.  Talk about making wrong choices that lead to a “wall”
and right choices to get to the end.

Smiley Face/Frowny Face Game
Give each member of the family a popsicle stick with a smiley and frowny face on it (back to back). When you read examples each family member holds up either the happy face or sad face to reflect if the choice was good or bad. Choose examples specific to your family. For example: I go to Primary, I poke my friend instead of folding my arms, I say thank you, I laugh when another child falls down, I put away my dishes, etc.
 
Agency Worksheet Click Here
LDS Living Agency Lesson Click Here

Treat idea: Decorate sugar cookies with smiley faces!

The ideas are endless...and I'm sure some of the weeks will get harder. Please post below your FHE ideas for this lesson. It's never to early to think ahead. Next week's lesson is:

Dating
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I think I’ll bring up that sometimes it feels hard to choose because Satan makes his choices look so appealing. I’ll probably start with an object lesson where I give the kids a choice of two things to eat...a lemon or some chocolate (the chocolate will be unsweetened, but they won’t know that). I’m banking on the assumption that they will all choose the chocolate. After they taste it, we’ll talk about how it looked like a good choice, but really wasn’t…just like Satan “packages” his choices to look really good, but ultimately they aren’t. Then we’ll talk about resources they have that can help them decide if a choice is a good one or a bad one (parents, teachers, the scriptures, Church magazines, prayer). I’ll present them with a choice again (sweetened chocolate and unsweetened chocolate this time). Hopefully they will use one of their resources (me) to decide which choice is best.

    For young kids, another thought is to make “stop” and “go” signs (something as simple as attaching a circle with red paper on one side and green paper on the other side to a popsicle stick). Talk about how making good choices helps us return to Heavenly Father. Make a paper person, and set up a path for him to follow, with a picture of Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ at the end of the path. Present the kids with scenarios and choices that your paper person made. If the person made a good choice, have your kids hold up the “go” sign and move the person forward on the path. If the person made a bad choice, have the kids hold up the “stop” sign, and discuss what the good choice would have been. Help your paper person move to the end of the path where Heavenly Father or Jesus is waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love these ideas, I am going to use the lemon and chocolate idea.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea Lindsey! Thanks for putting this together. The one thing I am struggling with is how to make this challenge work with little kids (4 and under). Amy's ideas are awesome and I would love to hear how anyone else is adapting future lessons. Amy - can I just bring my kids over to you and have you teach them? Takes care of that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your family's ideas for your Family Home Evening this week by commenting!